© Stuart Stark, Design Director, Charles Rupert Designs
Although Fireplace 2 originally graced the 1892 Dining Room of the house, changes took place early in the house’s history. Around 1908, the mantelpiece was swapped for the mantelpiece of the Library (Fireplace 3; determined by both design and wood finishes found under many paint layers) and, in 1926, the Dining Room became part of the Drawing Room, making a 35’ long double Drawing Room with two fireplaces. This fireplace has a mirrored backing for the shelves of the overmantel, which lightens the overall effect of the woodwork.
The double Drawing Room, with the second fireplace on the outside wall behind the fig tree in the archway between the rooms. The further room was originally the 1892 Dining Room of the house, separated by large folding doors. In 1926 a new Dining Room was created in the house and the original Dining Room became the back half of the Drawing Room, making a double Drawing Room 35’ long.
The tiles of Fireplace 2 stayed in their original location when the mantelpieces were changed, and coordinate with the tiles of Fireplace 1. Green and brown majolica tiles surround the cast iron firebox, and cover the hearth, which is enclosed by a black-glazed pottery fender.
The cast iron fireplace insert, with its ornate ‘summer front’ is surrounded by the green and brown majolica tiles.
The majolica tiles were designed to make an overall, continuous pattern, clearly seen in the picture below, showing the hearth.
The hearth tiles of Fireplace 2 are enclosed by the black-glazed pottery fireplace fender, with matching corner posts. A black painted wood moulding sits outside of the pottery fender.